Monday, July 30, 2012

Instant Oatmeal

Ahh... breakfast. The most important meal of the day. And what a better way to start it off than with hearty homemade instant oatmeal! My kids eat tons of this stuff, and we go through it quickly, so I needed a better way to make prep this so I wasn't busting out a bunch of ingredients every day or week. So my mom and I 32x'ed the recipes and figured out how to buy me a few months in between each prep session! 

What's nice about this is how versatile it is. You can use any flavors you want. You can make it stronger or more subtle. You can make as much or as little as you want. After you make, just store it in an airtight container (#10 cans are my preference). We use an electric kettle (about $13 at Walmart) so my kids can get their own breakfast without getting burned as well.

Brown Sugar & Cinnamon Oatmeal
For 32 servings
8 cups of quick oats
4 cups powdered quick oats
3 tsp salt
2 cups brown sugar
8 tsp cinnamon

For Apple Cinnamon:
Switch brown sugar for white sugar and add 4 cups chopped dried apples

Strawberry or Blueberry Oatmeal (We have also done Peach and Banana)
For 16 servings
4 cups of quick oats
2 cups powdered quick oats
1 ½ tsp salt
2 cups blueberries or strawberries
(Freeze dried or dehydrated)
1 cup non dairy creamer
1 cup white sugar

Mix everything together and put into airtight container. We don't measure out proportions. We just use 1/3 cup scoop and then the kids pour in the water to their preference!

1 comment:

  1. Heidi, my kids love cinnamon roll oatmeal but Winco doesn't carry it anymore. To make the powdered oats do you process the quick oats into a flour type texture?

    ReplyDelete