Monday, September 24, 2012

The Best Buttermilk Cornbread

This cornbread is so good that I couldn't even snatch a picture of it before it was half gone! Still ranked in the top 20 on allrecipes.com, this buttermilk cornbread is almost like cake. It's divine! Never really haven eaten cornbread til I married my hubby who lived in the south for 2 years, I was never a big fan. That all changed when I found this recipe a few years ago. Now it's a staple. It's a snack! And it is a requirement for stew! Only 1 thing makes this better... and it requires being awesome, and therefore I am disqualified. But my mom, she's awesome. She dehydrates her own corn. And when she wants a little piece of heaven, she freshly grinds enough corn for the corn meal. And that my friends, makes this even better than best. Yes, that is possible :)

½ cup butter
2/3 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
½ tsp baking soda
1 cup cornmeal 
1 cup flour
½ tsp salt
Preheat oven to 375. Grease 12 muffin tin cups.
Melt butter and stir in sugar. Quickly add eggs and beat until well blended. Combine buttermilk and baking soda. Add to mixture. Stir in cornmeal, flour, and salt until well blended and few lumps remain. Pour batter into muffin cups. Bake for 20 minutes. (I always double this and just put in a 9x13 and cook a little longer).

No comments:

Post a Comment